This site will continue to be updated as I find new photos and information. I will keep a list here of anything that's been added or changed.
October 26, 2003
With the publication of John Campbell's new book on the Powell River breakwater, I've added a new Books page.
February 9, 2003
Bunch of updates for the new year:
- I'm happy to say that the Powell River Breakwater has not been downsized. All 10 ships will stay, but they've been rearranged. The breakwater contains the last of the WWI and WWII concrete ships still afloat.
- John Rooney sent me a CD of close-up photos of the Kiptopeke Breakwater.
- I purchased several old postcards of the S.S. Atlantus on eBay and put them online.
- Corrected information about the wreck of the S.S. Cape Fear.
- Added the Kiptopeke and Powell River breakwaters to the sidebar menu.
May 14, 2002
Posted some excellent photographs of the Powell River Breakwater, courtesy of John Campbell. I finally have photos of the Armand Considere as well as new photos of the Peralta, Quartz and others. Also corrected some information regarding the mill and its history, although I haven't updated the 10 individual breakwater ships' pages yet.
Posted a nice aerial photograph of the Kiptopeke Breakwater in Virginia. Thanks to Dave Temens.
May 6, 2002
Corrected a factual error regarding the tragic wrecking of the S.S. Polias. Thanks to Dwyn Raymond, granddaughter of Polias Captain Richard T. Colghan, for pointing it out.
Also added a link banner to the Contact page for anyone who wants a more graphical way of linking to this site.
April 10, 2002
ConcreteShips.org goes online!